Footwear

The old saying from the first ascent of Mt Everest in 1953 has since been supported by research: A pound on your foot equals five pounds on your back. So, using light footwear is truly smarter backpacking.

A pair of really light Goretex boots from Inov-8. Roclite 390 weighs 390 grams per boot (13 oz).
The best overall choice for most types of hiking and backpacking in most terrains is, in my opinion, some kind of trailrunning shoes like these. There are lots of brands to choose from, these also happen to be from Inov-8.

My own favourite trekking shoes for many years and in many reincarnations; Salomon Tech Amphibian. They are watersport shoes that dry out real fast. The flexible heel of the shoe makes it possible to adjust the size to fit different thicknesses of socks.

One neat thing about hiking in light, well drained shoes is that most fords tend to become a non-occurence. You just walk on, without any particular measures like removing shoes or rolling up your pants. Kebnekaise area, Lapland, Sweden.

You can walk for surprisingly long stretches on snowfields in mesh shoes and thin nylon socks without getting cold. If you do, you can don your waterproof socks and maybe also your warm socks and keep moving.

Comments and current insights: Few things seem to evoke more psychic turmoil among hikers than discussions on footwear. I have been called 'hostile to boots', which I am not. I simply think that most boots are too heavy and that many of their features that are promoted as essential for safe hiking are not essential at all for my safe hiking.  I can only say that since I started using light mesh shoes I have had less aches in my feet, less blisters and a lighter step. I have used my mesh shoes on snow and ice and in talus and rocky terrain, bushwhacking cross country, in Europe and America, you name it. I will not go back to sturdier or more 'supportive' footwear. But for people who are hesitant about hiking without boots I can only say; pick something light. Fortunately the boots pictured above do not weigh much more than the runners.

There is lots more on this subject in the book, as well as on how to hike with 'the wet foot method' in cool climates without getting cold feet. Literally and figuratively. Also, be sure to check out the chapters on Socks and Socks, waterproof as well, since they explain a lot about practical operations with this combination of gear.

Here is a link to some of the scientific background to the adage about 'a pound on your foot equals five on your back'
Here is a link to an interview with backpacking legend Chris Townsend on footwear for hikers.