Pillow

Since the book is based on my own gear list, I include things that many others would probably not bring on a hike. But if you, like me, need something under your ear while sleeping, this is the chapter.

My current favourite; a pillow fashioned from a bag-in-box winebag. You just blow it up. Can also be used for carrying water.

Collapsible water bottle (chest) and 'pillow' (back) in a homemade PFD.
Comments and current insights: The winebag is not the lightest thing around, but it suits my needs very well. Right size and stays inflated. I have used lighter inflatable 'emergency' pillows but they tend to leak, and inflating them 2-3 times a night became a drag. This pillow also works as part of a homemade personal flotation device (PFD) for packrafting with little risk of ending up in the water; ie not for white water rafting. Needless to say it is not approved by any standardising committee and nothing I recommend is for someone who does not take responsibility for their own decisions and actions.