Pants

It probably comes as no surprise that I think that really thin and light pants are not only possible to use even on strenuous hikes with bushwhacking through dense vegetation, but in fact are more comfortable as well.
Two of my favourite hiking pants. The blue pair is homemade from Pertex fabric and weighs 160 grams; and the brown/green ones are Backpackinglight.com's Thorofare pants at 115 grams.

'Field dressing' pants with worn-out seam.
Comments and current insights: Pants are an important piece of clothing for a hiker and the subject merits a thorough discussion. Here I will only let you know a bit about the blue pants above. I have probably hiked more than 1000 kilometers in them, and certainly not all of that on trails. After a couple of years, in 2008, I took them on a 500 kilometer hike through the southern part of the Swedish mountain range. Lots of bushwhacking resulted in the seam at the bottom of one leg coming loose. I patched this seam with dental floss (see photo) and finished the trip. Coming home, I took a look and saw that the thread used for the seams at the bottom of both pant legs was visibly worn. After re-sewing them, I have used the pants for another several years. They still do not have any holes anywhere. Some slight pilling in the front shows that they have been worn through brush, but they still do not look worn. Only used. So do not believe it when I hear that 'thin' fabrics will shred in the outdoors. There are thin fabrics and there are thin fabrics. High quality thin fabrics today are incredibly strong and hard-wearing.