This is my medical kit (clockwise from top left) an old plastic film can with 4-5 meters of unelastic sports tape wrapped around it, some pain killer pills and some stoppers for the tummy wrapped in plastic, a couple of sticking plasters (adhesive bandages) for minor cuts and scratches (mostly to protect them from dirt and abrasion). Often also some type of blister treatment like Compeed. Everything goes inside the plastic can and it then goes into a zip loc bag together with an old Mylar 'space blanket'.
This is a photo of my complete 'safety kit' that goes into the read silnylon bag. The medical kit shown above is in the centre together with the Mylar blanket. To the left, the green rectangle beneath the ligther is an Army blood stopper for major, bleeding wounds. The green tube above is also part of my medical gear; skin salve for chapped lips or worn feet and fingers.
Conclusions and current insights: I used to carry more medical gear in case of damage to my person. Since fear is a powerful motivator, it is easy to sell lots of stuff like this to us backpackers. However, I have never seriously hurt myself and you have to draw the line somewhere between what is reasonable and what is paranoia. My personal conclusions on this topic are developed further in this chapter of the book, but suffice to say that I now only bring gear that aims at keeping me alive until I get professional care. And carrying a light load should make it easier for me to reach professional medical care from the back country than if I carried a heavy pack.