A synthetic pullover (MEC Northern Lights) is warm and windproof, and quite a bit lighter than an equally warm fleece jacket.
I like hoods, they add a surprising amount of warmth. Above, a favourite pullover for several years, a BPL Cocoon.
Down is of course still unbeatable when it comes to warmth/weight. Above, my old WM Flight jacket, nowadays slightly on the heavy side for a light down jacket (410 grams in size XL).
Comments and current insights: A warm garment can be very important for avoiding hypothermia, and there are some really light ones available today. The bad news is that they cost quite a bit. Also, should they be synthetic or down filled? This is covered at length in the book. I may add that for winter purposes I have successfully used both the flight jacket and the Cocoon above, at the same time. Less than 750 grams for something that has kept me comfortable at -20-22 C (-5 F).