Umbrella

Umbrellas are looked upon with a certain ridicule by many outdoors people. But in many circumstances the umbrella can be a terrific tool that really adds to your comfort in many ways.
"Talkin' to me?"
Who says you cannot be a cool guy with an umbrella in your pack?


A bit of rain and not too much wind; ideal for the umbrella.

Of course the umbrella can also double as a windscreen in this and other circumstances.

You do not necessarily have to hold it with your hand, but can tie it to your hat and belt. I use a piece of elastic around my head. You can also stick the umbrella through the neckband of your baseball cap

Comments and current insights: Umbrellas are not for everyone and I know people that have tried them and given up. But if it works for you, it has many advantages; some are mentioned here and others in the book. Also take a look at this link and the guy who showed me the "handsfree umbrella method" seen above. Just do not let prejudices stand in your way of testing this wonderful contraption. It is a bit like: "They all laughed when I sat down at the piano, but when I started to play...."