Stuff sacks

A sleeping bag needs to be kept in an absolutely waterproof sack. I also prefer to have my extra clothing contained in a similar way. They need not be heavy but they need to be absolutely waterproof if you hike in a cold and wet climate.


These are my two fairly heavy duty stuff sacks; 13 litres for the sleeping bag (green) and 8 litres for extra clothing (blue). They weigh between 70-100 grams each.

This is a lighter sil-nylon 8 l stuff sack that I use for my camera (it is way too big, you take what you have).


Another form of light and handy stuff sack is a mesh bag, for stuff that need not be kept waterproof.

Comments and current insights: There are two ditches you can end up in; endless systems of color-coded stuff sacks or no stuff sacks at all. I try to stay on the road, even if I sway at times. Some small items may be difficult to find in the pack, such as a spoon or a gas canister burner. Small things like these, that can not be damaged by water, I put in a light mesh bag. In theory, a completely waterproof pack should not necesssitate any waterproof stuff sacks. But truly waterproof packs are uncommon and in my opinion they have the disadvantage of leaving no place where to put wet gear, like tents and rain gear, without everything else in the pack getting wet as well. So, I prefer waterproof stuff sacks in non-waterproof packs.